Painting by Pablo Picasso on the occasion of 10th anniversary of WFTU in 1955
What kind of trade unions we want
(απόσπασμα από την ομιλία του Γ. Γ της ΠΣΟ Γ.Μαυρίκου)
We as the leadership of today’s FSM claim that, under the conditions we live in, the international working class and the people need an international trade union organization which will basically have the following main characteristics and those are the characteristics that we would like and we try to have the WFTU:
1. Class orientation and revolutionary thinking, which will emphasize that we’re talking about an organization of workers that firmly fights against capital and against imperialism. Trade unions that are independent from governments and capitalists.
2. Democratic and open dealings with simple people; reforms at all levels, supporting leaders who will come from the basis of society, who will be honest, will respect criticism and self-criticism, and also discipline, leaders who will fight bureaucracy and corruption.
3. The kind of unity that will unite all workers, irrespective of sex, color or religion; it will unite workers, poor farmers and the youth in order to include them all in the fight against capital and the monopolist companies; it will unite them in the struggle and teach them not to step back or give up.
4. Its international character, workers’ solidarity, cooperation and support (both ethical and economic) for each country’s working class, for each branch that fights for its freedom, for its trade union and democratic rights, for its life and rights.
5. The use of all kinds of class struggle, from the simplest to the most complex; launching ideas and goals that will demand satisfaction of the present-day needs of all workers, and will at the same time lead to a class struggle to end the exploitation of man by man.
6. The use of international organizations to implement the ideas of the workers; coordinating the actions of different movements that are fighting for the same goals.
7. Education for the working class, especially so that the workers will love the history of their nation, the traditions, the culture and the history of the international working class movement; providing an education to make the workers cleverer as a class, to believe in the values of the class struggle, and to know the class struggle.
όλη η ομιλία εδώ
VI Presidential Council: Speech of the Palestinian Mohammed Iqnaibi